Chemistry, Final Exam Review
1. The mass number of an element is 60, and its atomic number is 27. How many neutrons are contained in the nucleus?
2. Isotopes of the same element are related because they have the same
a. Atomic mass
b. atomic weight
c. atomic number
d. number of neutrons
e. arrangement of orbital electrons
3. If an element has an atomic number of 11, it will combine most readily with an element that has an atomic number of
4. What is the maximum number of electrons held in the f orbital?
5. Where are the highest ionization energies found in the periodic table?
6. Strong bases turn
7. The property of matter that is independent of its surrounding conditions and position is
8. The present scale of atomic mass is based on 1 amu being equal to the mass of
9. When most fuels burn, the products include carbon dioxide and
10. The atomic mass of an atom is mostly due to the weight of
11. The oxidation number of Cr in K2Cr2O7 is
12. In the reaction of an acid like HCl and a base like AgOH is
13. What type of bond is formed between sodium (0.9 electronegativity) and chlorine (3.0 electronegativity)?
14. What is the most probable oxidation number of an element with an atomic number of 16?
15. The mass number of a neutral atom is 45 and it has 19 protons. What is the number of electrons?
16. If an element has an atomic number of 12, the element is
17. Soft water is used in industrial operations because
18. The point at which all three states of matter can coexist is called the
19. Which of the following is not a compound?
20. How many atoms are represented in the formula Ca3(PO4)2?
21. A salt formed from the reaction of sulfurous acid and calcium hydroxide is
22. The correct formula for calcium hydrogen sulfate is
23. The bonding that explain the variation of the boiling point of water from the boiling points of similarly structured molecules is
24. What are atoms called that have the same number of protons but differ in the number of neutrons in the nucleus?
25. An element with an atomic number of 10 is classified as a(n)
26. How many atoms are in 2 mole of water?
27. Which of the following atoms normally forms monatomic molecules?
28. The Rutherford experiment of using a stream of alpha particles on a piece of gold foil proved that
29. In the periodic chart, where would you look for the most electromagnetic elements?
30. Which of the following elements in the first group of the periodic chart is the most active metal?
31. When sulfur dioxide is bubbled through water, the solution will contain
32. When an electron of one atom is completely lost to another atom with the consequent formation of electrostatic charges, it is said to be
33. The most electronegative elements in the periodic chart are found among
34. An example of a physical property is
35. An example of a chemical change is
36. Of the basic particles that make up an atom, the one which has the smallest mass is a
Use this phase diagram to answer questions 45-47
37. At which point can only the solid phase exist
38. Which point is called the triple point?
39. At which point can only the liquid and solid phases coexist?